Contrary to what some people think, being an academic is a hard life. Pressure, performance, competition…This is not a 9 to 5 job; it’s your LIFE. Like a merry-go-round gone wild. We love it, but sometimes, we just want to get off.
I want to help you develop a more sound relationship with, and critical approach to, academia, by directing you to some interesting articles and helpful resources. And possibly also transmitting a bit of harmony from my home – see the slideshows at the bottom. Kind of like an online retreat! For more snapshots from my offline retreat follow me on Instagram.
1. Food for thought
- Academics Anonymous (HE page by The Guardian)
- Academic Irregularities (critical blog about HE)
- A Non-Academic Career is Not A Failure (thoughtful article by Laura Harrison)
- Coffee & Cocktails (academic podcast and blog)
- Let’s Talk Academia (blog about postgraduate life and academia)
- LSE Impact Blog (critical blog about HE)
- Parenting during the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020: academia, labour and care work (journal article by Sarah Crook)
2. Academic rants, chill out ideas & resources
- Flow colouring pages (downloadable)
- Flow Social OOO (out of office GIFs to use on social media)
- Red pen black pen academic gifts
3. Critical blog posts by yours truly
- Breaking out of the cocoon that is called a PhD
- Lest we drown in student feedback
- It’s that time of REF again!
Dulcis in fundo, some delightful, seasonal snapshots from my offline editing retreat